Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A restful night.

Wow, I have not been up at this hour by my own will in a long time.  In my previous post I mentioned something about my daughter not sleeping well, here's what I meant by that. She usually goes to sleep very nicely after being nursed around 7 PM, sleeps until 2 AM, wake up, nurses and goes back to sleep until a reasonable morning hour. I'm lucky I know. Well the last 5-7 days it's been a little different. *ahem* Attempt to get her to sleep in the evening for about two hours. If she is not literally attached to me, you nursing mothers know what I mean, she wakes up. Usually that task goes something like, nurse her until she's asleep, stand up and nurse her some more, make sure her blanket isn't stuck and that the blanket in her bed isn't in the way, then as fast as I can, when she stops sucking for just a second, put her in her bed, throw a blanket over her head and make a mad dash out the door. Praying that she doesn't open her eyes and get a glimpse of me leaving, if she does, repeat. Ugh! So after that task, it's time to deal with her waking up every one to two hours for an indefinite period of time. A couple nights, it was every two hours all night long. Once it was every hour for about five and then two times after that.

Lucky for us, these nights always see morning. Mike does not get up with her during the night, he lacks the right "parts" if you will to get her back to sleep. He has been quite faithful though, getting up with her in the morning, feeding her breakfast and changing her diaper. Lucky me gets to sleep in a couple extra hours, enough to make me functional in the morning. I'm a pretty lucky lady I think.

This morning though, I can say I'm now more awake than I was 15 minutes ago and I'm a lot less groggy though my coffee has not been made (Mike does the coffee around here). Lilly went to bed at about 8:15 last night. She woke up at 2 and 4 and is still sleeping at 7. This I can tolerate.

In case you were wondering, all of the awake hours in this house have not been in vain, Lillian now has two teeth. So you see, there really was something bothering this poor little girl and after feeling the tops of these little teeth I have to say that I probably wouldn't sleep well and would want to be attached to my mom too if those little things were ripping their way through my tender tissue!
I am amazed at how, just when I think I have no more patience and can't get up one more time, I still manage to take care of her. Motherhood.

This was from a few days ago, Mike is really good about letting Lilly get into anything, and I mean anything in his office. Obviously, shredded paper is a great way to keep her entertained while Mommy sleeps!

2 comments:

  1. Motherhood indeed, I also find it amazing that even when you're at your wits end, something happens that makes you go "ok, it really is all worth it and I wouldn't give it up for anything, just take deep breaths" I would say that Yes you are very lucky to have a husband who gets up in the morning with the baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a reason God made mothers the primary care giver for our wee ones. Not only do we have the "equipment" to feed as well as soothe our children,but along with that came some super deep love that allows us to somehow keep going when we'd really like to....not.
    Teeth are tough,especially the first ones....then the molars. If your were not nursing it would be much harder to soothe her you can be assured.
    You are a great and fortunate Mom.

    ReplyDelete