Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Counter sitting

Counter sitting was a pretty common thing in my house when we were little. I am sure there are photos of all five of us sitting on the counter or in the dishwasher while various things were being done in the kitchen. Maybe that is why, to this day, the kitchen is still the gathering place in my childhood home.
  Lately cooking dinner has been quite a chore, you see, my charming daughter is usually tired and ready for a bed, or wanting to be played with, both very difficult things to do while cooking. So yesterday during the first five minutes of cooking the whining and pulling on my pant leg started and so genius me puts my daughter on the counter. That did the trick! She happily played for the next 1/2 hour with various spoons, cups, stirrers, and of course, the sugar.
The sugar, well there is a bit of a story behind that. You see, I was, (actually I still am) the eater of all of my mother's children. Eating sugar really isn't all that bad you see, most of the time I am told I would just eat sticks of butter, I am sure that my mother's thought was one I often have these days "if he keeps her quiet and happy right now, I don't really care"
I did not need the sugar yesterday but somewhere in my mother's scrap book, there are at least two pages of me sitting on the counter eating sugar, so I had to recreate this photo of my own daughter. I'm tempted to try it with the butter too, maybe not, that thought kind of makes my stomach churn.



 







Proof! Thanks Cousin Sherry for sending this!

2 comments:

  1. Love the photo of you. I am definitely a fan of counter sitting, it keeps em occupied nicely. And it sure beats trying to do things one handed while you hold them. Alan is big enough now that I can pull a chair up and he stands on that (we don't have as much counter space as you) and I'm sure Joshua will get plenty of counter time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, the family traditions go onward! Daughter looks a lot like Mommy did!
    Another advantage of counter sitting is the older kids learn fractions really easily when helping to measure out 1/4 cup, or 1/2 Tablespoon! A Bonus!

    ReplyDelete