Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas Stockings

Both Mike and Lilly needed stockings this year. My mom made me and all of my siblings one years ago,  it's the only one I've ever had and I plan to keep it that way. 

Isn't it lovely? Way too much embroidery for me!

Really I shouldn't say that it's too much embroidery, you should see the ones my sister does. (Lydia that's a hint to take photos and post so that I can insert a link here to your amazing stockings) Thanks for posting Lyd
You see I just don't have the patience to do what she does her's look something like this.
Except all are appropriate according to the recipient. All of those little details are done by hand. AMAZING!

Ok anyways. I wanted one for Mike and one for Lilly but was not willing to do all that work and for a while I felt guilty. Then I remembered that such projects are supposed to be fun and if it's not going to be fun, don't do it. (Ask my mom about this theory) 
I wanted Mike's and Lilly's to match mine in size but I didn't care about actually matching fabric or anything like that. So I went to one of the blogs I follow and found these directions. click here to see This was a bit more complicated because I used cotton instead of felt like my mom did. I had to use batting and then line them and ugh, hand sew the binding as well as the embroidery for the names (I don't enjoy using a needle and thread though I am getting better) With the directions from Anna and my stocking as a pattern, so they'd be about the same size, here's what I ended up with.
I love, love, love, this fabric.

I think Mike was pleased with his reindeer.


I should have turned the flash on on my camera but oh well. I'm quite pleased with them. They aren't perfect and maybe some day I will make fancy-shmancy ones like what Lydia does but then again, maybe not. 

Merry Christmas...


4 comments:

  1. Hannah - your stockings are lovely!! And they only took you a day or two, not a hundred hours. I'll see if I can manage to do some picture stuff this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your stockings too Hannah, yes Lydia's are amazing and I'm slightly jealous of them, but not all the time and work that went into them! And i love how your tree is decorated! So classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tree! And the stockings look great too. I love the reindeer fabric. Have a Very Merry Christmas, one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stockings are very special; I never had one as a child. We (all 8 of us kids) were to get a sock out of our drawer and it was hung for Santa to fill!
    The gift of making one for a special person is what lasts forever. If life opens up more time you may make new ones...and maybe you will not see the need. They are beautiful and gifts of love.
    A very special Christmas to you! Let's Face Time on Christmas Morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete