Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dawson Creek to Wasilla

Her first bath in almost two weeks. She was such a trooper for the entire trip!
Pine trees covered in snow, thousands and thousands of miles of this...
Yes Mr Buffalo you are in our way.
I think there were probably 50-60 in this herd
Many miles of up and down and turns like this. So glad we didn't have much snow.

I am going to sum up the rest of the trip pretty quickly as there isn't a whole lot to say. We drove, stopped, ate slept and drove some more. We went from Lethbridge Alberta, to Dawson Creek, Ft. Nelson, to Watson Lake, to Beaver Creek, and then into Wasilla. All of the places we stayed were very tiny, some towns a population of 150. Tiny Tiny Tiny. I really didn't think that places so small existed. Places that to get to the next town it's a 6 hour drive and that's a town of 300 people. A strange existence. By the time we left Lethbridge I was so nervous that the car was going to break down again I couldn't eat, not good considering that I'm still nursing Lilly. I think I lost about 10 lbs on this trip. Mike was amazing, he drove every mile, I didn't sit in the drivers seat once, not ONCE! We had heard many horror stories about the roads and that it was going to be terrible and in places it was pretty bad but Mike says never as bad as he thought it was going to get. We got lucky and didn't have to deal with much weather. The roads were fairly clear, though slick in the early morning. We saw lots and lots of pine trees covered in snow, thousands of miles of pine trees covered in snow and I must say that I am glad the the pine trees here in Wasilla aren't covered in snow. We saw a couple moose, and several herds of buffalo/bison and a lynx (sorry no picture).

I feel like I should recount more of this story but I just don't feel like writing it all. The memories are not fond ones. I am saddened at how disappointing the trip was, though not lacking for excitement, it wasn't at all what we expected. So unfortunately our drive across the Alcan highway was more about getting to our destination than enjoying the drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment