Thursday, April 22, 2010

Projects

I'm sure none of you would ever guess that I was a very difficult child. Unlike my sister who was born sewing and knitting, I had no desire whatsoever to learn anything my mother wanted to teach me, especially if it had to do with a sewing machine. I have changed over the past few years. I started beading years ago, then knitting and most recently, I have become obsessed with sewing. Yes sewing! Who would have thought, as my mom and she'll tell you that never did she think she'd see the day where I sewed something out of desire, not necessity. I mean, I have always known how to use a machine, I vividly remember learning how to sew straight lines by sewing (without thread) on the borders of the adds in the newspaper on Mom's old pink Singer. That was the extent of my sewing until middle and high school Home economics classes, do they even make kids take that stuff anymore? Anyways. 
My sewing ability and desire has increased greatly over the past few months, basically since moving to Alaska. We bought drapes, at Lowe's, for our living room, They were too short, wrinkly, boring brown and not worth the 50$. So I called my mom and through very detailed, one day at a time, e-mailed instructions. I made beautiful drapes for our living room. Then it was black out curtains for our bedroom, just in the nick of time, it is now light out at 10pm and before 6am! I hated making those stupid black out curtains, sure glad I have them though and next time they are needed I'll know how to do it better. That stuff out of the way, it's baby dress time. Lydia sent me a pattern and I was HOOKED. I love it, I have made three so far, two from her pattern, one from a pattern I bought. 





This is a reversible pillow case style dress. I love it and though I think it may not fit perfectly I can't wait until it warms up so I can't let Lilly wear it!




























I have been wanting some of those reusable grocery bags for a while now. I hate going to the grocery but even more I hate the bags, paper or plastic. We just don't reuse them fast enough and I hate storing them. So they go in the trash and then I just feel bad. So I bought a pattern from one of my favorite websites www.rosylittlethings.typepad.com, you can find the pattern here http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/posie_gets_cozy/fabric_and_sewing/page/4/ about halfway down the page. This bag is the loveliest grocery bag I've ever seen. My husband does not understand why I would want to spend several hours making one when I could just go buy a green canvasy one at Walmart. Ick! Yes they are better than paper or plastic but I love the time and the though that goes into making things. Picking out the fabric, laying it out trying different patterns as different pieces. It is all, somehow, very therapeutic to me. Watching nothing, become something, and something useful at that. I can hardly wait until I go to the commissary on Saturday and when the cashier asks me "paper or plastic" I can say neither and really mean it and give the bagger my very pretty, handmade Jane Market Bags!!!! Happy day!   Off to make another bag!































2 comments:

  1. That bag is really great! I have a bunch of the "walmart" ones and while I like using them as opposed to paper or plastic, I looooove the idea of making some pretty ones :-) THanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool to pull out custom made individualized bags for anything! I love it and will make some too! Thanks for the link! I have lots of fabric I collect because I like the patterns, so I will have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete