Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A day with the Back Creek Potter

While we were in Indiana, Lilly and I were able to spend a day with a dear dear friend of mine and potter, Audrey Felger.

 A little of my past

~I have known Audrey, I guess you  could say my entire life. We grew up a couple blocks from each other and my siblings took art classes from her mother, Martha Beeson. We weren't friends until I think maybe high school when I started attending her youth group and giving her rides to school. (she never asked, I offered so my "attitude" was definitely unjustified) I will admit now, that I did not appreciate what I like to call her "artists" personality back then, over the years I have learned to love this and yes, even some of it has rubbed off on me.  I was rather uptight (yes me ) and would get frustrated as she was almost never ready those early mornings and I'd have to wait on her. We always had plenty of time, I'm sure something crazy like 45 minutes to drive the 7 minutes to Warsaw High. There were probably times that I was half way down Chestnut Ave and Audrey hadn't even closed to door yet. I can still see her, running out of her house, coffee in one hand back in the other and usually something for breakfast. If I could go back to those days, knowing what I know now, I would have parked and gone inside for coffee and breakfast. :-)
During high school, the Beeson women helped to develop a side of me that probably wouldn't have ever been discovered. They taught me first and foremost to LOVE coffee, yes that's right. I think of them often in the morning while I enjoy my first, second and sometimes, third cup. Evenings with a hot mug of decaf with cinnamon and whipped cream, real I think, not the fake stuff, are such pleasant memories for me. They also helped draw out my love of music, and taught me to see beauty and color in everything.
Thanks Audrey, for helping me to realize that life is not always about getting where you're going but enjoying the music, the color, the friendships, and of course, the coffee. Maybe some day we will be able to share those coffee nights and hours in bead stores again on a regular basis! ~

Back to the Back Creek Potter
 You can find Audrey's things here www.backcreekpottery.com


We had such a wonderful time with Audrey, the day in Jonesboro was beautiful. We got there late morning and got a tour of her gardens and studio. Spring arrived early in Indiana this year and the gardens were already full of lots of little green things, some not so little like the flowering rhubarb plant taller than Audrey I think. Lilly and I watched as Audrey moved Etta the Rabbit's cage and fence out into the sun for the day. Then we saw the tiny little place, complete with two parakeets, new windows, plants, 1000 pounds of porcelain, and of course the wheel where Audrey throws her creations. After that we went down to the pole barn where her inventory is stored and the glaze mixing, testing and the firing is all done. I had no idea how much of a process this all is. I also ordered some pottery from her while I was there. I can't wait until it comes, but am waiting on some new glazes I think. After that was lunch and a lovely Mexican place, McDonald's ice cream cones. Of course, a day with a potter isn't complete until a pot has been thrown, so, here are some photos of that part of our day.

Spraying down the dust, from what she says, you don't want to breathe too much of that in. See the boxes under the table in the back, that's what 1000 pounds of porcelain looks like.

Lilly was more interested in the rabbit pellets and the dustpan.

Centering, she says this is the hardest part. Spinning the wheel and molding the clay up and down to make sure that it is perfectly centered on the wheel.





So it begins,





I think this process is beautiful. I think it was about here where she said "it's too wet." But she kept going, pushing and pulling, a little touch here and there. Then...



It collapsed and a couple more not so gentle pokes turned it into a monster. See what I mean about seeing beauty in everything? I think I would have cried had it been me spending that much time on something to have it collapse. She said she's getting better at dealing with that part. 


Happy Girls

Thanks Audie for sharing your day with us. 

2 comments:

  1. awwwwwww hannnah you're gunna make me cry. . . ;) i love you too! (and your sweet little girl) it was so so so good to see you.
    i like to pretend that i was always late on purpose, of course - you see I knew you needed some loosening up. ha! i still think sometimes about those mornings going to school. such good times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lucky people realize the influence friends in their lives early on had on the person they are today. You are so fortunate to have a friend like that. It sounds like it will be a "lifetime friendship". From Girl Scouts I remember the song:
    Make new friends
    but keep thee old,
    One is silver
    and the other gold. so true!

    ReplyDelete