Sunday, August 23, 2009

fever

24 hours ago, Mike was grilling steaks, I had the rest of dinner going. It was surprisingly cool (79) so we had the doors and windows open. We had gone to Garrett and Selene's and stopped for frozen yogurt. Lillian was sleeping in her swing, no blanket I picked her up and she was burning up! She had been pretty sleepy all day but I didn't think much about it, she had been nursing just fine. Well needless to say, she had a decently high fever, Mike remembers the numbers but I don't. He went and got Tylenol but we didn't give her any until this morning. Her temp is now normal with the Tylenol in her system. She has been more alert this evening. I think she's going to be fine.
I had no idea how scared I would be when my baby got sick. I never even thought about it. I didn't think that MY baby would get sick when she was so tiny. I am glad that Mike can stay calm, he very often looks at problems not from the problem perspective but from the "how to fix it" side. I don't do that, I get stuck on the problem. I have never worried about anyone the way I worried about Lilly. She's so tiny and helpless with no way to tell me what's wrong. I certainly hope for my sake and hers that this doesn't happen often. She's too little to be sick and my emotions can't handle it.
Lucky for me I have lots of people with experience to help me out.

1 comment:

  1. Yes my dear, until you have your own child you cannot comprehend how much you can love some other person. How responsible you feel, how you want the best for them more than anything in the world, and how, just maybe you would give your own life to save them. That is motherhood. I know. Lydia, Caleb, Micah, Hannah and Isaac's Mother

    ReplyDelete