Monday, March 15, 2010

Busy Sunday

Yesterday was a busy day at our house and a lot was accomplished. Here's a photo tour of what we did.


Mike installed knobs and handles on all of the drawers and
cabinets in the kitchen and installed hinges and trays so that the
once just drawer fronts in front of my sink now open. I have always
found it annoying and stupid to have "fake" drawers. It was great
that the builders of this home didn't permanently install these fronts. It
took a little while but they now open and I am so happy to have some
place to store all of the stuff that used to sit on my window sill or behind the faucet.

Hamilton and Lilly have become buddies now that Lilly occasionally eats real food. Hamilton usually shows up as soon as Lilly gets put in her chair. As for this photo, she had just eaten some banana...Hamilton was doing clean up duty. 













Mike also installed this really cool organizer caddy we found at Lowes. As you can see from the photos not only does it slide but comes completely out so when I need to clean the bathrooms etc. I can just take the entire thing with me and don't have to worry about attempting to carry a bunch of bottles. 

As Mike was busy installing I was busy sewing. (I need to be better at taking pictures of the process) I am not by any means a seamstress. In fact, until recently, I HATED sewing. The most I do is a satin binding on a baby blanket, and by blanket I mean 1 1/4 yards of flannel, torn to be approximately square. Well we needed curtains in our living room. Mike wanted them ASAP and so a few weeks ago we went out and bough the rod and the curtains. YUCK. Boring brown. They didn't reach the floor and when pulled shut didn't cover the window. They were wrinkly and harsh looking and I hated them. Fortunately for me I have an incredibly cool Mother who learned how to make curtains years ago from a neighbor. Mrs. Easter I believe. They are lovely and lined and hang nicely and cover the entire window and cost so much less than customs. 
So my lovely mother sends me day by day instructions on how to make curtains. I'm a little confused but am bound and determined to make them. It took me about two weeks, not because there is that much sewing, actually nothing more than a straight seem required, but because drapes, take a lot of time. Well that and I'm also usually in the middle of several projects. Anyways, enough rambling, I am sure that you are just dying to see the finished project, those of you who haven't peaked ahead to the pictures. Ok Ok, I finished them last night and they are just as wonderful as I thought they would be. No more store bought, cost a fortune but don't look like it, curtains for this house... I must say I am quite proud of myself. (can't forget to mention that Lydia helped too, thanks!)


Last night right after I finished.


View from the kitchen, too bad you can't see out the window, the mountains were beautiful this morning.


From the hallway/front door. 

3 comments:

  1. I love all the improvements! I want a caddy like that under our sink! And the drapes are beautiful, along with your new couches, I loooooove those too :-) All in all I'd have to say "gosh I'm jealous!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait. . . what happened to your sock in the first picture? did it get lost in the curtains? i can only imagine how that must have happened. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creativity comes in many forms and even function, and you did a great job! Necessity does become the mother of invention (or in your case creation), and I agree with you that the store bought curtains are never worth the money!
    The living room looks so inviting; a great place to tuck feet up and sip tea or coffee in the morning. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete